jueves, 1 de mayo de 2014

Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott Review

Publicado por Lina Jiménez en 8:30
Title: Fire and Flood
Series:  Fire and Flood #1
Author: Victoria Scott


Date Published: February  25th 2014

Blurb taken from Goodreads

Time is slipping away.... 

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

Victoria Scott's breathtaking novel grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go.


Have you ever bought a book and been so excited to read it, especially if you have only heard good things about its author? After finally buying the book you start to read it convinced that you are going to love it but as you begin reading said book you realize that some things are kind of familiar.

Here are some examples of the things that reminded me to another book specifically the Hunger Games and the TV show Digimon:

- The main character Tella enters the Brimstone bleed to save a sibling. 

-The Brimstone Bleed was a completion that put you in a hostile environment that you had to survive if you wanted to win.

-“I’d like to officially welcome you to the Brimstone Bleed. May the bravest Contender win.”

The phrase above is said by a colorful woman that represents the government.

- Tella is given a golden pin with an animal in it.

- The competition was designed to punish innocent people so they could atone for their ancestor’s actions.

-Even the Pandoras that were my favorite thing about this book were a knock off version of Digimon. I know that he blurb sort of warned me of this but I still I didn’t expect to be reminded so much of them.

In a perfect world where I could ignore the similarities that the plot had with “The Hunger Games” Tella, the heroine, made it extremely difficult to like her and the book. Here are the reasons why:

-I understand that looks are important to many people, myself included, but if you are in a race for survival and given a backpack full of supplies you pray for clean water not make up.

“For a fleeting moment, before the woman speaks, I pray that the orange pack I’m wearing holds Chanel makeup. And a brush. And a mirror.”
Newsflash Tella if you die no one is going to care how pretty you looked.

-She hates other women simply because they are physically attractive. There is no reason to get to know a person if they are beautiful they are bad people that must be hated.

“The last girl I see, I want to strangle. Like the woman, she has long hair. But instead of dark, it's blond - no, honey gold - and shines like that of a Broadway starlet. I can't see her eyes from here, but I'm sure they're some kind of stunning shade of blue. She has cream-colored skin and a body that belongs in a magazine - the kind for guys, not girls. I hate her with everything I have as she laughs her perfect laugh and tosses her perfect hair and crosses her to-die-for legs... We could be friends, I realize, if I weren't so overwhelmed with the urge to end her.”

This girl has literally done nothing to you, she is not even required to kill you and you want to hurt her because you have low self esteem? And you still want me to root for your success?

There was romance and other characters but they were all so blah that I can’t even remember their names.
So you probably can tell that this wasn’t the book for me but unfortunately I have this strange compulsion to finish all the series I start and I really want to see if Tella’s brother is going to survive.

Actual Rating: 1.5 stars

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

 

The Little Book Pixie Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos