jueves, 26 de septiembre de 2013

Review: Through Glass by Rebecca Ethington

Publicado por Lina Jiménez en 9:49
Title:Through Glass
Author: Rebecca Ethington
Pages:325
Date Published: September 2oth 2013
Series: Glass #1

Everyone remembered the day the sky went black. The day the sun was wiped from the sky. They remember the wind as it brought in the darkness; the way the earth shook and everything changed.

Everyone remembered the screams as the darkness ate those who were out in the open, those who had surrounded themselves by light, and those who made noise.

Everyone remembered the voice from the sky and the way food disappeared.

At least, that’s what I hoped. I hoped that there was an ‘everyone’ that would remember because I am not sure how many are left, how many survived. Or if anyone did.

I hoped that I wasn't alone.

I remembered that day.

I remembered because it was the day I became alone.

It was the day that everything was perfect until the monsters took it away. Then the house went silent and the birds stopped singing. It was the day when everyone disappeared, everyone except the boy, the only person I have seen in two years.
The boy I talk to through the glass.


The Story 

Words can’t describe how amazing this book was it totally blew my mind away.
The book starts with Alexis being nervous about the return of Cohen, her neighbor, friend and the object of her affections for the last few years but Cohen has made it clear he only likes her as a friend. A few days after his return from college Cohen finally admits his feelings for Alexis and everything seems wonderful until Cohen goes to his grandparent’s house to prepare for a date with Alexis, her parents and brother are going out and the worlds seems perfect but that  day is the day the Ulama invade and everything changes.
Now Alexis lives in a world where she can’t leave her house, make any type of noise and light are forbidden and t he only way she can communicate with Cohen is through a window.
The book shows us Alexi’s life for the years following the invasion.

The Characters 

Alexis: She is the narrator of the story and is sixteen years old when the book starts. At first I didn’t like her because she only thought about how Cohen didn’t like her and how she decided to follow him to college but as the story progressed she grew on me because I felt her hopelessness when she thought there was nothing she could do about her situation but I loved how she regained her spirit and will to survive when she found a way to fight back.

Cohen: He is Alexi’s neighbor and crush who just returned home from the University of Cincinnati. What I liked about him was how he realized that he lived Alexis, it wasn’t insta-love, it actually took many years of friendship, leaving for college and seeing her again for him to realize his feelings for her, this felt very realistic to me. I liked him overall especially for the way he treated Alexis and supported her even when he couldn't speak or be with  her

The Writing

I loved how this book developed not only was the plot full of surprises, the whole world building and concept of the Ulama was very well executed.
The book was very chameleonic. At first it felt like I was reading a contemporary YA instead of a paranormal YA,  it’s beautiful, scary and dark  at times in a way that I read it all in ones sitting.
Final thoughts
Loved this book it gave me more than I expected. My only complaint is that it ended with a cliffhanger.

Rating 4.5/5


0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

 

The Little Book Pixie Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos